Inside old games machines, was: Re: Simulated CP/M-68K?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Jun 19 12:03:42 CDT 2007

On Jun 19, 2007, at 10:48 AM, Ethan Dicks wrote:
>>    Many, many machines were built in this way...I only use the
>> VAX-11/730 and DECsystem-2020 as examples because I have them sitting
>> here.
>
> Every once in a while, a fit overcomes me and I contemplate what it
> would take to re-implement the KS20 with a stack of 2901s and a pile
> of fast SRAM.  Fortunately, the madness passes before I can do much
> more than think about it.

   *snicker*  Yes that would be fun.  But man...there are quite a few
really big boards in that machine.  That would take some doing!

> It'd be cool, but I'd probably be better off trying to follow in the
> footsteps of one of the 10-in-an-FPGA projects.  For the forseeable
> future, though, I'll probably stick to klh10 (and should get around to
> ordering the last parts to finish my "Panda Display" blinkenlights).

   There seem to have been several of those FPGA projects, but they
keep dying.  I guess people don't have a clear idea of the level of
complexity.

> It would still be a thrill to boot TOPS-20 on real hardware that first
> time, though.

   Indeed it would.  I've never booted mine. :-(  Someday I will find
a TU45.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire