Inside old games machines, was: Re: Simulated CP/M-68K?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Jun 19 13:04:28 CDT 2007

On Jun 19, 2007, at 1:39 PM, woodelf wrote:
>> On Jun 19, 2007, at 10:48 AM, Ethan Dicks wrote:
>>> Every once in a while, a fit overcomes me and I contemplate what it
>>> would take to re-implement the KS20 with a stack of 2901s and a pile
>>> of fast SRAM.  Fortunately, the madness passes before I can do much
>>> more than think about it.
>>  *snicker*  Yes that would be fun.  But man...there are quite a
>> few  really big boards in that machine.  That would take some doing!
>
> So how much $$ do you expect parts for such a beast would be?

   Eeeeeek!  Well it seems to be mostly TTL...I think it's more a
matter of effort than component cost.

>>   There seem to have been several of those FPGA projects, but they
>> keep dying.  I guess people don't have a clear idea of the level
>> of complexity.
>
> So build a RISC flavor of a 9/18/36/72 bit machine. :)

   Weirdo. ;)

>>   Indeed it would.  I've never booted mine. :-(  Someday I will
>> find a TU45.
>
> Perhaps that would be a better project to emulate.
> Spare Time Gizmos makes TU-58 Emulator. You might ask them to
> emulate a tape drive too.

   Something tells me a MASSBUS-interfaced peripheral would be of
somewhat limited appeal. ;)  I've thought of doing something like
that myself, but then that "spare time" problem crops up.  It's
maddening.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire