Emulating old computers on FPGA

Philip Pemberton classiccmp at philpem.me.uk
Wed Jun 20 09:58:19 CDT 2007

Liam Proven wrote:
> Since I see this is coming up, I though folk might be interested in this:
>
> http://www.msx.org/One-Chip-MSX-MKII.newspost3805.html

I've got a single-chip version of the Atari Digital Vector Generator that I
cooked up for fun last year. One of these days I'll reimplement the POKEY chip
in Verilog (that should be fun <grin>) and build a Eurocard-sized Asteroids
clone, complete with vector output circuitry.

But alas, the floppy drive reader comes first. Creating schematic symbols for
208-pin QFP parts is painful at best. I really need to order a few of the
smaller (144-pin IIRC) XC95288XL gate arrays from Digikey - because there is
no way in hell I'm paying RS's 3x markup *and* extortionate postage on top of
that. What's really annoying is that the CPLD is the one part that's stopping
me building the prototype - the logic code is done, and a good bit of the
firmware. Just I don't have a CPLD that fits :-/

Thanks.
--
Phil.                         |  (\_/)  This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
classiccmp at philpem.me.uk      | (='.'=) into your signature to help him gain