What are the really unusual or weird computers?

Brad Parker brad at heeltoe.com
Sun Jun 24 19:49:31 CDT 2007

1
"Bob Bradlee" wrote:

>Then there was the 1940's vintage links trainer I worked on when at the Navy T
>D school Millingon Tn. Now
>that was a hoot working on that old thing. But it was far from a computer, but
> it did spin around and buck
>up and down based on control movements and could simulate a stall for the cont
>roled crashes it would
>accept as a landing. It did a good job of plotting your ground movement on a b
>ig chart table and the
>instructor could dial in a cross wind. We all had to go through ground school
>using it, before we were
>allowed to work on it.

I was recently in Corning NY and had a few hours to kill before my flight
left.  There is an *excellent* war plane museum next to the airport.

[link to cctalk? huh? :-)]

And in it were some very old and not so old flight simulators/trainers.
One looked like it was some sort of 16 bit machine.  I think it was made
by Links (spelling?). I should have taken notes - I will next time.  I
was thinking it would be fun to fire up some day.  Rows of 19" racks.  I
wanted to jump over the ropes and turn it on but the "docent" would
probably ha ve had a heart attack.

(we did have an absolutely amazing conversation about the origin of
strobe lights and how the folks at Corning helped create them and get
them installed along the final into east Berlin.  It involved glass from
Corning and a metal finish from some company in New Jersey.  Somehow I
suspect Doc Edgerton was envolved in that...)

>But it worked and flew well.

well, that's what counts :-)

I've yet to fly a simulator which I can look out of over left wing and
figure out if I'm level.  But I have never been to flightsafty yet...

-brad