Best solvent to remove sticky tape residue.

Robert Ollerton rollerton at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 15:04:28 CDT 2007

On 6/25/07, Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:

> On 25 Jun 2007 at 17:13, Austin Pass wrote:
>
> > The WD40 is on hold, as it appears I've lent out or disposed of mine.
> >
> > It's impossible to know what type of tape was used, other than it was
> quite
> > wide and in place for rather a long time!  When I do get hold of some
> WD40
> > tomorrow (GooGone doesn't seem to be available in the UK based on a
> cursory
> > check) I'll test it on the rear of the "wheel covers" to ensure no
> lasting
> > damage (should it prove too harsh.)  I've sprayed it on and around ABS
> > plastics in the past without any harm, however.
>
> You might also try some lamp oil (paraffin oil/white kerosene).  Slow
> evaporation, so you can leave it to soak.  In the grand scheme of
> petroleum solvents, it's very mild, but has worked to remove tape
> adhesive for me.  The triple-filtered "ultra-pure" stuff has
> practically no odor.  Clean up any residue with detergent and water.
>
> Cheers,
> Chuck

My preferences:

Naptha  as a low activity solvent

Wd40 (Naptha in a spray can?)

Googone, GoofOff. Sold to remove paint drips; I like the non-petrolium
low-VOC version.

Citrus based cleaner; Orange Glo, etc.

 You might need to soak a really dried label or glue spot; use a paper towel
wet with the cleaner of choice and lay (or tape!) it on the area and then
cover with a bit of plastic wrap to keep it from drying out.

Its always a good idea to start with the weakest cleaner and then move up to
somethign stronger until you find what will soften the adhesive.  Also a
good idea to do a bit of testing in some area thats not going to be apparent
in case the cleaner decides to lift some paint or somehow cause the plastic
to discolor.

Watch out for solvents that are a higher order than the plastic you are
working with; Acetone, Lacquer thinner, and MEK will turn solvent based
plastics to jelly.