nice but OT (HP/Apollo workstation)

Jeffrey Armstrong jba at sdf.lonestar.org
Wed Jun 27 07:57:02 CDT 2007

Patrick Finnegan <pat at computer-refuge.org> wrote:

>On Tuesday 26 June 2007 23:50, Ensor wrote:
> > I also question whether the thing will run Linux as he says in the
> > auction description....Open/NetBSD certainly, but I've not seen a
> > PA-RISC port of Linux.
>
> http://www.debian.org/ports/hppa/
>
>I've installed it on C110 and possibly HP "Apollo 715" systems a few
> years ago...

The Debian GNU/Linux port to PA-RISC mature and fully supported.  I've
used it for the last 5 years or so on two boxes.  I first installed it on
a nice HP 715/100 system and used it as a desktop with KDE.  It was slow,
but not unusable.  My webserver currently is a nearly OT HP Visualize
B2000 workstation running at 400MHz (www.approximatrix.com).  It runs
Apache 2 and Zope/Plone content management system on top of Debian
GNU/Linux 3.1 HPPA.

The PA-RISC hardware is rock-solid, and Linux is well supported on it,
thanks to HP.  I've never had a system crash except when an external SCSI
disk catastrophically failed (not the HP system's fault).  I would suggest
trying out Linux on the 700 series systems people have as I pesonally
can't stand HP-UX.

The NetBSD port to the PA-RISC is, by comparison, completely immature.
IIRC, up until last year, they didn't even support booting from CD.
Their install procedure was laughable at best (required another NetBSD
machine to prep the disks or something...), and it made me wonder what
their criteria was for "supporting" an architecture.

jba at sdf.lonestar.org