Telephony switches - is there anyone out there collecting these?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Jun 27 15:02:19 CDT 2007

The first "computer" that I got to see up close (rather than at a
distance as in "that's our computer over there") was a tic-tac-toe
machine that employed Stroger switches.  It was mechanical enough to
be fun to watch.

Wasn't there a turn-of-the-century electromechanical gizmo built by a
Frenchman to solve the three queens problem?  I seem to recall that
when it won, it played a phonograph recording of "échec et mat".

Can someone refresh my hazy memory?  Would that qualify as a
"computer"?

Cheers,
Chuck