What are the really unusual or weird computers?

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 28 17:06:14 CDT 2007

> On 27 Jun 2007 at 20:17, Jim Leonard wrote:
>
> > Could you elaborate?  I've never found a single program that will work
> > on, say, my 5150 but not my 5155 or 5160...
>
> Including ROM BASIC that writes and reads cassette tapes?

ROM BASIC is present on the PC, XT/Portanble and AT at least. I have no
idea if it was fitted to any PS/2 machines.

IIRC, cassette I/O went via a software interrupt (INT 15????). The
routines in later BIOSes (XT, AT, etc) returned without doing anything,
bnt since all said BIOSes supported extension ROMs, I see no good reason
why you couldn't have a BIOS extension and a little hardware to add
cassette I/O to the later machines, if you were insane enough to want it.