Dialling up in 1982 (was Re: old modems (was Telephony switches))

Jason T silent700 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 22:36:53 CDT 2007

On 6/28/07, Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm... I know that RLE pictures existed (before GIF), and were
> monochrome, not color, but I don't recall experiencing them in 1982.
> I'm positive that my BASIC terminal program knew nothing about them.
> Perhaps the VidTex client I tested knew what to do with them, but I
> don't remember ever viewing any on a C-64.

It was definitely on the 64, as it's the only computer I had (besides
the Vic 20) during my CIS account's lifetime. But yeah, I doubt anyone
managed to write RLE/Vidtex support for the Vic.

The software I used at the time is lost to memory, other than that I
had to switch to a specific term program to handle them, rather than
Colorterm (?) or whatever I usually used.  It was quite possibly a CIS
download, if not written by them.