Copying DEC VAX set up disks rx50, help

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Mar 4 00:37:52 CST 2007

On 3 Mar 2007 at 23:07, Ethan Dicks wrote:

> Hmm...  Others on the list can chime in with their floppy expertise,
> but from the way you are describing what you've tried, it doesn't
> sound as if you have a clear picture of the media in front of you.

I dunno, RX50 format is easy to copy.  Make sure that your 1.2M drive
is declared as such in the BIOS setup--if it's confused with a 1.44MB
drive, it's not going to work, as 2D operation on a 1.2MB requires a
write clock (300KHz) that conforms to a 360 RPM drive.  A 1.44MB
drive is 300 RPM--so any attempt to write a 2D format using a 250KHz
clock rate is guaranteed to fail--you'll run out track before you run
out of data.

Cheers,
Chuck