Multiplexing Nixies

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 7 14:16:58 CST 2007

Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 7 Mar 2007 at 2:25, Dave McGuire wrote:
>
>>    There's a 16-segment VFD, the IV-17, that shows up on eBay fairly
>> frequently.  They're pretty nice.
>
> They're nice, but I was really wondering about EL--one of the
> "forgotten" technologies.  I remember being fascinated with EL back
> in the 60's; it seemed full of promise.  I recently picked up a pack
> of EL night-lights and found that they were pretty much the same
> thing as the one I had 40 years ago.

Hmm, cost per foot of EL cable looks very good too. Not sure about sheet
though (could make some interesting numerical segmented displays out of either
though).

Operable life looks pretty good. Might have to try and get hold of some of
that for experimentation - I'm not sure where in the UK you can get it though
(the handful of sites I saw were all in the US).

I don't mind using "new" technologies for things if they're actually old :-)