tools / test gear / components in the US?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Mar 8 12:00:04 CST 2007

On Mar 8, 2007, at 9:38 AM, Jules Richardson wrote:
>> Out of interest, whereabout in the US is good (mail order) for
>> getting hold of tools / test gear and components? There's only a
>> Rat Shack in town here, which as everyone knows is utterly useless
>> for absolutely anything :(
>
> Thanks for all the replies everyone - certainly given me a few
> useful places to look at anyway.
>
> Like Zane, I prefer to have real paper catalogues rather than some
> electronic version anyway, which is making Digikey sound good...

   Mouser also sends out gigantic paper catalogs..  (lest you think
the decision is that easy!)

   Realistically speaking, you'll need to deal with several
distributors.  Even carrying different parts numbered in the hundreds
of thousands, no distributor can (practically) carry them all.  When
purchasing components for a project, I almost always place orders
with both DigiKey and Mouser, and sometimes one or two other vendors
as well (usually direct from the manufacturer...Analog Devices,
Linear Technology, etc).

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire