Vintage terminals (was Re: PDP-11 available in New Zealand)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Mar 8 22:11:24 CST 2007

On Mar 8, 2007, at 10:17 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>>> Last I checked, you can still buy VT520's from Boundless (they
>>> bought DEC's
>>> terminal business).
>>
>>   Weren't they originally made by a different company and
>> relabeled & sold by DEC?  I seem to recall that the VT420 was the
>> last DEC-built terminal.  Which makes perfect sense, as the models
>> after that are utter garbage.
>
> I honestly have no idea, I have assumed they did the VT520 and
> VT525's themselves.  I've used some VT520's, and my primary
> complaint has been that they typically seem to have come with PC
> keyboards. Rather worthless when you need to get into the setup
> menu!  Though considering they came with Auspex fileservers this
> might have been done on purpose to keep people out of the menus!

   Indeed, my VT520 was originally shipped with an Auspex.  It was
shuffled into other duties (and quickly into the trunk of my car)
when we wired the machine's console port up to a remote console
server during setup.  When I got it home and fired it up, I was so
offended that I very nearly took it back to work.

   Nearly. ;)

> The VT520's didn't seem that bad to me, but then I haven't used one
> on a DEC system, so wasn't coming close to taxing their capability.

   Don't bother.  They are garbage.  The VT320s and VT420 are the
ultimate evolution of the ANSI ASCII terminal in my opinion.

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL