Introduction And Questions About Media Preservation

Doug Jackson doug at stillhq.com
Tue Mar 13 23:22:49 CDT 2007

 >Cool to me it was like catching time in a bottle. Getting to the files
 >I worked with perhaps will bring me back in a small way to those days.
 >You never know how much you miss something till its gone. I really did
 >not appreciate those early awkward days until much later in life.

Yep,  I recently brought back to life a Z80 based "Pulsar Little Big
Board" STD bus CP/M system - It was surprising the lack of bit rot that
the system had suffered since 1986, when I moved to my shiny new XT.  In
any case, there were all of my old projects in all of their glory - That
got me going, and I spent an entire weekend moving data from various
older archive format (from 360K 5.25" disks, to QIC-02 tapes) onto
spinning platters...  I found huge numbers of projects from firms that I
worked for that no longer exist - And even remembered that I was
actually paid (in $$$) to write pascal code...

Never would have believed that!

Backups are much more regular now days, and all onto optical media - as
well as onto raid disks, so it is unlikely that they will be lost again.

--
Doug Jackson, MAIPM, MIEEE

Senior Information Security Consultant
EWA-AUSTRALIA
PO Box 6308 O'Connor ACT 2602
Level 1, 214 Northbourne Ave, Braddon ACT 2612

Tel: +61 (0)2 6230 6833
Fax: +61 (0)2 6230 5833
Mob: +61 (0)414 986 878

http://www.ewa-australia.com

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of Electronic Warfare
Associates - Australia. If you have received this email in error,
you are requested to contact doug.jackson at ewa-australia.com or Ph
+61 2 62306833 and delete the email. This message is not to be
copied or distributed to other parties without the express permission
of the author. Any personal information in this email must be handled
in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).