OT: Sun CPU card. Anything useful?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Mar 16 12:05:29 CDT 2007

On 16 Mar 2007 at 2:21, G Manuel (GMC) wrote:

> Do you need a Credit Card Terminal? If so I have one you can have for the
> shipping cost. Let me know and I will dig it out and give you all the specs
> and such. It is maybe 10 years old and is a Hypercom Unit I believe.

No, we have one already, so I don't know what I'd do with one.  It
might be fun as a "fool around" box, but most of these are 8051-type
boxes.  A Z80/Z800/x86 model might be interesting however.

Back around 1992, our merchant card services tried to set up on-line
credit card transaction recording and asked if we wanted to
participate.  We got a whole bunch of documents about how the system
internals operated.  That's all probably changed now--and we signed
an NDA at any rate.

But I did write a few BASIC programs for filling in "Luhn" codes.
More than a few times, a customer would hand-write or copy his credit
card number and one or more digits would be unreadable.    It was
pretty simple to write a little program to take "?" for the unknown
digits and back-compute the possibilities.  It saved us a lot of
trouble on a couple of occasions.

Cheers,
Chuck