Sorta OT: Good Win9x Telnet server

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Mar 17 11:24:02 CDT 2007

I know that Windows 9x is a terrible kludgy beast, but I'm looking
for a good telnet server to run on a Win9x box.  Any suggestions?
The ones I've tried usually have such a long character echo
turnaround that using them is excruciating.

The reason I'm doing this because I'm fooling around at the port
level with an ISA card that I'm still trying to figure out.  On one
system, I'm doing my head-scratching; on the Win9x box, I actually
have the card and am doing I/O port fiddling via DEBUG over telnet.
If I crash the Win9x box, no biggie--just hit reset.

If this doesn't work, I suppose that I can run a terminal emulator on
the first box and just boot DOS and ctty to COM1 and hook the two
boxes together via RS-232C.  But using a serial terminal with MS-DOS
does have its own problems.

What I'm using now is TelnetXQ from DataWizard on an old PR300 box
running 98SE.

Suggestions welcome.

Cheers,
Chuck