Modern Marvels: Computers -- Can you identify these items?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Mar 17 22:59:55 CDT 2007

On 17 Mar 2007 at 20:15, info wrote:

> The background tape drives are from Control Data Corporation and the
> front cabinets are also from Control Data but I can't tell you any more
> as I can't make out the name plate on the cabinets

The background drives are probably 607's or 609's--the photo's too
fuzzy for positive ID--but my money'd be on 607's which were far more
common (I loved those drives and despised the 657 "cost reduced"
replacements).

Unfortunately, there are no mainframe cabinets anywhere in the photo--
what you see in the foreground are 3000-series controllers, but that
doesn't mean a thing, as both the 3000 and 6000 series used 3000
peripherals for tape., card and printing.  The 6000 used a 6681/2
channell converter, which then would interface to, say, a 3423 tape
controller.

The cabinet sitting next to the 415 card punch in the middle
foreground is probably a 3447 punch controller.

Maybe Billy Petit can recognize some of the cabinets--it's far too
fuzzy to make out any numbers.

Cheers,
Chuck