Modern Marvels: Computers -- Can you identify these items?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Mar 19 14:51:23 CDT 2007

On 19 Mar 2007 at 11:17, Billy Pettit wrote:

> It is hard to tell much.  The tape drives are definitely 606 or 607's.  I'd
> lean toward 606 because the lights for density seem to be the 200/556
> configuration, not the 200/556/800 set.

Yeah, you're obviously better at seeing through blurs than I am!

> The cabinets in front are unusual.  The one on the right has a window in the
> top (see the shiny plate) and that was only done for printers.  The one on
> the left also has two rows of lights, instead of one and that was only done
> on early printers (non-train) and one of the early disk file controllers.

I'd concluded in a later message that we were probably looking at
501's in the foreground, since on the right-side one, you can see the
top glass.

But I guess neither of us wins Richard's contest!  I figure that
you'd almost have to know the room itself or someone in the photo to
be able to figure out what the system was.

Cheers,
Chuck