Bitsavers subscription

Doc Shipley doc at mdrconsult.com
Wed Mar 21 15:53:35 CDT 2007

Jay West wrote:
> I credit Guy Sotomayor with the original idea, a few others chimed in as
> well. So I ran it by Al Kossow and this was officially blessed by him....
>
> The plan is for me to offer subscriptions to bitsavers for a fee. The
> idea is that you can sign up for a subscription and pick just the
> specific directory trees you want, or the entire archive. You are
> initially sent a complete copy of all the trees you selected (or full
> archive) on the medium of your choice (CD, DVD, HD, etc.). From that
> point on - for the subscription fee - you are automatically shipped a
> set of updates periodically - say every month? - that keeps your own
> personal bitsavers archive up to date. Perhaps this automated system
> could also allow purchase of a "one-off" cd/dvd without a subscription
> containing just the files and/or directories that you tag.

> Of course, if no one is interested, I'll just continue making the
> occasional trip downtown to the datacenter and burning CD's for people
> at no charge. It would be nice if there was interest in this though!

   Sign me up.

   I'm a firm believer that nothing's free.  It may not cost *me*
anything, but somebody has to pay.  I hit bitsavers a time or two a
month, and couldn't even guess how many hours it's saved me.

   I also am the kind of person that's more likely to pay for something
that's given freely, if there's a way to do so.

	Doc