John Backus passes away...

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Mar 22 21:08:33 CDT 2007

On 22 Mar 2007 at 11:07, Brad Parker wrote:

>> The really fun part was using "load and go fortran".  As I recall
(dimly),
> you'd load the fortran deck and then load your fortran code.  I'm pretty
> sure it compiled into memory and then just ran it...

My memory's a little dim, but without a 1311, (and hence an honest-to-
gosh operating system--sort of), I think you were pretty much
confined to loading the compiler, which immedately punched a loader
deck, then read your program and punched an object deck.  You then
loaded the punched object deck with the subroutine deck and it ran.
I do remember the dreaded "OVERLAP" error--that and the 1622 mulching
the compiler deck.

Hey, it was barely FORTRAN, but it was FORTRAN!

Cheers,
Chuck