Atari ST connectors (was: Atari SIO bus connectors found)

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Thu Nov 1 18:55:31 CDT 2007

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, Tony Duell wrote:
> drilling a hole down the middle

a left handed drillbit is significantly better than a conventional one,
since it will be tending towards loosening, not tightening.

> and then using an easy-out. Does that term exist across the Pond?
yes.  But it is applied to only a few varieties
Removing a broken easy-out is a lot more fun.
There are special fluted tools for trying to remove broken taps, but not
for easy-outs.
Snap-on makes a good quality broken bolt extractor that is specifically
designed so that WHEN it breaks, it leaves enough sticking out to grab
with 5WR Vise-grips.

> I have neve seen RH thread easy-outs for removing ledt-handed shear-head
> bolts, which suggests that said bolts would be a little harder to remove

I have used a type of easy-out with straight flutes (instead of left-hand
thread), that can be used for left handed broken bolts.

>  I have neve seen such bolts used in classic computers

I can't recall DELIBERATE shear-head bolts in computers, but I have
removed broken bolts, and even a broken easy-out, from Hitype I printers.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com