Kaypro 4/84 questions

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Nov 5 16:20:03 CST 2007

On 5 Nov 2007 at 13:13, Brian Wheeler wrote:

> * I'd like to replace the 2nd drive with a 3.5" floppy.  I've found a
> Sony HD drive along with a power and plug converter.  Knowing that PCs
> use a twisted cable scheme, what things should I be aware of when
> cabling in this new drive?  Will it be supported in some manner by the
> software?  Its not a big deal if it turns out to be a 360K 3.5" floppy,
> as long as its readable by my linux box.

I'd recommend a 2D drive, such as a Teac FD235F that will produce a
READY signal.  IIRC, I don't remember if the 4 requires it, but it
wouldn't surprise me if it did.  Also, since the 2D drives are
"blind" to the HD indicator aperture, you can use HD media without
taping over the HD hole.  If this is the B: drive, just use a
straight cable and make sure the drive select is set to DS1--most
drives used in PeeCees are set that way because of the twisted cable.

The PRO-8 ROM supported an 80 cylinder format according to my notes.

Cheers,
Chuck