Commodore PET

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Fri Nov 9 16:46:18 CST 2007

In article <4734DA5F.7090202 at yahoo.co.uk>,
    Jules Richardson <julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk>  writes:

> > What "expandable, well-built, well-documented systems around in the
> > UK" were available in 1977/1978?
>
> Weren't we well into S100 bus territory by then and all the various
> systems/boards that went with it?

The PET was a complete single integrated unit that you could sit down
at and start typing and get work done.  An S-100 based system usually
requires that you buy all the pieces separately and put them together
yourself.  Very daunting for someone to go through in 1978.  In the
US, I think the Sphere had the single-integrated-unit concept down
before the PET, but it didn't take off for whatever reason.