CDC Terminal (was Commodore PET)

M H Stein dm561 at torfree.net
Fri Nov 9 17:48:54 CST 2007

-----------Original Message:
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 11:47:34 -0800
From: "Chuck Guzis" <cclist at sydex.com>
Subject: Re: CDC Terminal (was Commodore PET)

On 9 Nov 2007 at 14:17, M H Stein wrote:

> Control Data Corporation
> QSE 1253 Display Controller
> QSE 1255 Display Equipment

Maybe Billy Petit recognizes this.  Before I saw the above, I was
about to declare it an Intercom terminal controller (Intercom
stations were used for remote job entry).  But QSE is CDC parlance
for "Quote for Special Equipment" (as opposed to QSS "Quote for
Special Software").  Which means that it was a custom-order job,
perhaps for a defense customer.

Cheers,
Chuck

Makes sense. Assuming I'm looking at the right PCB rack it's pretty
modular; the cards all look pretty well the same and it also had a quite
large and some smaller diode matrix boards, so I guess with the right
cards, backplane wiring and diode placement you could make it do
pretty well anything.

Defence? In Canada? We're your peace-lovin' neighbour who welcomes
our enemies with open arms (and without the kind of arms you carry
down there)...