Who keeps buying DECTalks?

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Sun Nov 11 20:49:10 CST 2007

Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 11 Nov 2007 at 17:11, Jason T wrote:
>
>> Has anyone put the audio file online of the demo tape?
>
> Found it:  http://incolor.inetnebr.com/bill_r/computalker.htm

I was going to ask you why it cracked you up until I heard the
http://incolor.inetnebr.com/bill_r/computalker4-text2speech.wav example
-- holy crud, I couldn't understand a single word!

The digitized examples (Kennedy, etc.) weren't that much better
either... I wonder, with modern computers making the FFT analysis, could
the computalker produce intelligible output?  I can only assume that the
original analysis was limited by the speed of its day.