Who keeps buying DECTalks?

M H Stein dm561 at torfree.net
Tue Nov 13 00:23:21 CST 2007

-------------Original Message(s):
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 21:25:13 -0800
From: "Chuck Guzis" <cclist at sydex.com>

On 11 Nov 2007 at 20:49, Jim Leonard wrote:

> The digitized examples (Kennedy, etc.) weren't that much better
> either... I wonder, with modern computers making the FFT analysis, could
> the computalker produce intelligible output?  I can only assume that the
> original analysis was limited by the speed of its day.

I don't know--the CT was a strange board.  I do recall at one point
having a Votrax Type'n'Talk RS-232 text-to-speech box installed on a
terminal.  To this day, I still say "ok" (rhymes with "sock")... ;)

Cheers,
Chuck

Same here; one of the Cromemcos had a Votrax on a dedicated port
that announced the user's name and port no. when he/she logged in,
and for many years I've had a PC set up with an RS-232 speech card
that announces the caller's name and number when my phone rings,
as well as logging the call.

mike