"Barn" finds - Victor 9000, Rex Microcomputer and Intersil DevelopmentSystem

Allison ajp166 at bellatlantic.net
Tue Nov 13 17:06:41 CST 2007

>Subject: "Barn" finds - Victor 9000, Rex Microcomputer and Intersil DevelopmentSystem
>   From: JP Hindin <jplist2007 at kiwigeek.com>
>   Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 10:03:04 -0600 (CST)
>     To: cctalk at classiccmp.org

Snippage>>>>>

>The next is a 'Rex Microcomputer System', model REX-1032, "Manufactured by
>Realistic Controls Corporation of Davenport, Iowa". I'm guessing this is a
>kit computer that's been put together by this local company, but "Rex
>Micrcomputer" gets me nothing via google and breaking it down gives me
>screeds of irrelevancies. The machine has a Z80 microprocessor, although
>it might have another (ala Rainbow) and I just haven't dug far enough.

REX was late like 1979 to early 80s not later than 1985 time frame.
They were not seen around my travels and I wondered if they were really
vaporware. It's a Z80 CP/M crate.  More like Robin not Rainbow.

>The last is quite a beasty, weighing plenty thanks to its significantly
>hefty linear power supply. Intersil Development System, ISB 80DS 3020-120.
>Got six apparently serial ports on the back with what I think is a console
>cable hanging out one side. What I like best is the socket mounted in the
>front plate for reading/writing 24 pin DIP chips. Two 8" drives with
>diskettes in them, God only knows if they're still good after sitting out
>for this long.

Likely a 6100 (PDP-8 in cmos) powered deveopment system though they
sold  1802, 80c85 and 80C88 too.

With some TLC they sould still run if rust or corrosion are not evident.

Allison