MIT provides MULTICS source and documentation (DPS-8 simulation)

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Wed Nov 14 23:23:22 CST 2007

On Thursday 15 November 2007 00:01, woodelf wrote:
> Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> > Multi-user in an 8-bit context doesn't sound real terrific to me,  for
> > some reason,  though I don't see a problem with multiprocessing if it's
> > done right.
>
> Well the idea of muilt-processing on a 8 bit cpu (6809) sounds
> nice. You know a floppy, hard drive, serial I/O (low speed) all going
> at once could help a user use software effectively.
> Still waiting ... too bad GIMIX is not around anymore.

That name does sound vaguely familiar,  though I couldn't tell you anything
more than that.

> Ben alias woodelf
> PS. I don't want a COCO 3 instead, I want a REAL computer.
> (Well I have PDP 8 for my real *classic* computer :).

Well,  there were pluses and minuses about the CoCo.  The big minus for me was
that the basic machine all by itself wasn't up to doing much.  And by the
time you got everything al ltricked out,  you were talking some decidedly
nontrivial money...

OTOH,  that setup was actually pretty neat,  once you got there.  Or so it
seemed to me anyway,  looking it it from the outside.

-
M Dakin