MIT provides MULTICS source and documentation (DPS-8 simulation)

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Thu Nov 15 14:43:32 CST 2007

On 15/11/2007 14:59, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Nov 15, 2007, at 12:20 AM, Roy J. Tellason wrote:

>> Which reminds me of a comment I saw somewhere about the possibility of
>> having
>> a SCSI bus with more than one host adapter on it.  Is that even possible?
>
>   Absolutely...SCSI is a (mostly) peer-to-peer bus.  You can easily set
> up multiple "masters" ("initiators" in SCSI parlance) on a SCSI bus if
> the hardware implements the spec in a reasonable way and the OS' drivers
> can do something useful with the capability.
>
>   Communication between host adapters is also possible; I'm sure I've
> even heard of "IP over SCSI" having been implemented.

I can't remember if it was Cumana or SJ Research, but one of those
companies had a system where a disk was shared on a single SCSI bus
between multiple BBC Micros (or maybe Archimedes) and the bus was also
used as a sort of network between the computers.  As I recall it, the
principle limitation in practice wasn't the obvious one of 8 devices on
a narrow SCSI bus, but how close together the machines had to be because
of the limited length you could make the bus.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager