"intelligent" disk drives

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Nov 20 00:39:33 CST 2007

On 19 Nov 2007 at 18:38, Fred Cisin wrote:

> MICROS~1 was inconsistent.  FDISK used 2 ^ 20 for MB, but other modules
> didn't.  FORMAT calls the 1.4M diskette "1.44", indicating that it used
> (2 ^ 10) * (10 *3)

Until the rest of the world decided otherwise, I referred to HD disks
as 1200K and 1440K.  At least that was honest.  The 1.2MB and 1.44MB
were simply perversions, I assume for shorthand purposes.

To their credit, as of MS-DOS 6.22, the HELP for FORMAT gives 1440K,
1200K and 2800K as the *first* of several alternatives for specifying
capacity.  2K and later drops the "K" forms in the HELP file, but
FORMAT still accepts them.

So honesty is at least nodded at.

Cheers,
Chuck