*updating* 8088's

Allison ajp166 at bellatlantic.net
Wed Nov 21 06:31:41 CST 2007

>Subject: Re: *updating* 8088's
>   From: "Ensor" <classiccmp at memory-alpha.org.uk>
>   Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 00:49:26 +0000
>     To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
>
>Hi,
>
>  >....but the 8088/86 was available as high as 20mhz IIRC,
>  >or possibly even a bit higher....
>
>Hmm, I don't ever recall seeing an XT running at anything like that sort of
>speed.

The higest teh 8088 got in PC or clone was 12mhz.  The faster parts appeared
later and for the embedded cpu market.

>Most "Turbo XT" motherboards which I saw topped out at 10MHz, though I have
>a vague recollection of hearing about a manufacturer which produced a 14MHz
>(or possibly even 16MHz) board and then had to quickly withdraw it due to
>MAJOR instability problems.

the biggest problem with XT and fast was teh ISA-8 bus was 8Mhz max and
many older cards would get unhappy at another over that.  So you set the
bios for lots of waits slowing the system.

>If you wanted anything faster you generally had to go to a '286 or better.

more or less th case.

Allison