Documentation for the AT&T Sceptre Videotex terminal

M H Stein dm561 at torfree.net
Wed Nov 21 12:00:02 CST 2007

-------------Original Message:
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 18:31:10 -0800
From: "C. Sullivan" <feedle at feedle.net>
Subject: Re: Documentation for the AT&T Sceptre Videotex terminal

On Nov 20, 2007, at 1:36 PM, Mark Meiss wrote:

> It consists of a base unit that's somewhere around 13" x 11" x 4",
> connected to a (fairly wretched) chicklet keyboard with a standard
> 4-conductor telephone handset cord.  The keyboard is powered by a
> 9-volt battery.  On the back of the main unit are connectors for
> power, the keyboard, RS-232C (DB-25 female), composite video out, and
> audio out.

I had an AT&T SCEPTER terminal that was used with the Gateway service
offered in Southern California from Times-Mirror/Pacific Telephone.
It had a 1200 baud Bell 212-style modem built in.  Also, the keyboard
was infrared on the model I had.
<snip>
Gateway was a killer service back in 1983.  It was expensive, but it
was a lot of fun.  And I remember dialing up BBSes with the SCEPTER
terminal when my C-64's power supply crapped out...

Yeah, I have one of those (keyboards) somewhere in the pile and mine's
IR as well, with the Gateway sticker still on the back. No worse than a PET
to type on (if I had something to type to ;-)

No Windows key either and not supported by Microsoft, so Woodelf would
probably like it...