Windoze reqs

Allison ajp166 at bellatlantic.net
Thu Nov 22 08:11:31 CST 2007

>Subject: Re: Windoze reqs
>   From: Josh Dersch <derschjo at msu.edu>
>   Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 16:11:43 -0800
>     To: General Discussion: On-Topic Posts Only <cctech at classiccmp.org>
>
>If I may ask, what was glitchy about video modes in Windows 3.1?  I ran
>it at 640x480 for years without any obvious video issues...

Same here, I still have a copy running on a laptop at that resolution.

>As an aside, I had Win95 running on EGA for awhile just as an
>experiment.  On a 386sx-20 with 4mb ram on a 65MB Miniscribe MFM drive.
>It ran, but that's about the only good thing I can attribute to the
>experience ;).

Not enough ram, at 8mb it become moderately useful.  I used to make
headless print network servers that way.  Install 95B, strip out OE/IE
and cruft install laser printer driver put on net.  It usually fits
well in 100MB.  Prefered CPU for that was any of the miniboard 386 or
486s but one time I had a 386sx/16 brick and used it with good results
(it was a slow printer to start with).  The boards with 86sx were best
cooling was never an issue so the fans could fail and CPU coolers
were not needed.

Allison