IBM 5271 (PC3270) host interface options

r.stricklin bear at typewritten.org
Sun Nov 25 16:23:53 CST 2007

On Nov 25, 2007, at 8:04 AM, Michael B. Brutman wrote:

> I'm digging in my secret archives.  I have just one clue so far -
> somebody called it a 'printer/memory' card.  Based on your
> description of it and this clue, I doubt that it is the comm card
> for the machine.

This is the same card as mine, right here. I'm not sure I buy the
seller's description of it as a parallel printer card, though it's
certainly possible. I could accept the description if somebody were
to find some other corroborating evidence.

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-PC-XT-Parallel-Port-Card-ISA-Parallel-Printer-
Card_W0QQitemZ190173053919QQihZ009QQcategoryZ74946QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ
1QQcmdZViewItem

Interestingly, it was also removed from a 5271.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense that
it's a parallel card. Would the 5271 have been capable of using the
Async Adapter as a host interface? That's the only remaining I/O card
in the machine.

ok
bear