*updating* 8088's

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at usap.gov
Mon Nov 26 17:35:00 CST 2007

On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 01:06:39PM -0800, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 26 Nov 2007 at 11:46, Brent Hilpert wrote:
>
> > What about the "Who are you" id message used on some teletype networks, so one could
> > confirm that you were talking to the desired recipient terminal? I believe the
> > ASCII control code 'ENQuiry' was originally intended for eliciting that message.
>
> Wasn't that just a perforated tape loop?

Not in my ASR-33 - it's a "finned drum" - you break off the tabs to turn
ones to zeroes (or the other way 'round?) and when the terminal receives
the ENQ from the host, it spins the drums which "types" back the reply.
I forget how many character positions it has, but it's on the order of 12
to 16.

Mine are both intact.  I might consider encoding one if I had a spare,
but I never worked in an environment where I wanted my TTY identified. ;-)

Perhaps some models of TTY did use a tape loop, but I can't place one that
did.

-ethan

--
Ethan Dicks, A-333-S     Current South Pole Weather at 26-Nov-2007 at 23:30 Z
South Pole Station

Ethan.Dicks at usap.gov            http://penguincentral.com/penguincentral.html