FD400 drive troubleshooting

Richard A. Cini rcini at optonline.net
Tue Nov 27 06:55:32 CST 2007

The "he" is me...

I've swapped drives originally and this drive worked for a short time. I was
originally looking for common failure modes for these drives. I've cleaned
the heads using a disk but a more thorough and direct cleaning is warranted.
The problem is that this is the second drive in the pair and to get to it
means I have to disassemble half of the unit. I just haven't had the time in
the last few days.

I also want to check the drive RPM. I found a program for the Model 100 and
bar code reader which turns it into a stroboscope, but I wanted to validate
it on a working drive, so I have to pull out a TM100 drive. But, alas, I
haven't had time for that in the last few days, either. I'm going to try to
do that today.

Rich

On 11/27/07 12:08 AM, "dwight elvey" <dkelvey at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>  How about back to the original subject.
>  Has he tried to swap the boards on the drives. On floppies,
> these are usually interchangeable. That would
> Isolate the problem to the mechanical or electrical.
> Dwight

> You keep typing, we keep giving. Download Messenger and join the i¹m
> Initiative now.
> http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGLM

Rich

--