VSII/GPX joy (and minor annoyance)

Arno Kletzander Arno_1983 at gmx.de
Mon Oct 1 14:25:43 CDT 2007

Jochen Kunz <jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de> wrote:
> > To my understanding, this means the grant chain was broken in slot 5
> > (after the RQDX3) because there's no board in its CD half.
> Yes. But I asume it doesn't matter, as the QDSS isn't a DMA device (?)
> and maybe can't generate interrupts at all?

Hmm. One half of the base board does however have circuitry connected to those pads that are just linked by grant continuity traces on the second half (and the 4-plane memory boards), so I figured it might actually be doing something useful with it. Haven't studied the technical description yet...

> Most likely you will have to solder the BC18Z yourself. But I think I
> can provide a LK201 keyboard and a VSxxx rodent. I can throw in some
> QBus stuff like a 8 port serial mux or a TQK50, maybe a TK50 drive too.
> But TK50 tape drives are as reliable as RD53 disks... I recommend to get
> a TK70. Much better.

I found the pinouts of the BC18Z somewhere (and I'm aware that there is a buggy version), so I should be able to construct a replacement. Your offer for the other stuff is gratefully taken, let me know what I should be on the lookout for you in private mail.

The MVII at University has a TK70 installed, but as it will probably never see much use even if we manage to fix the supply, I might be able to get it traded for a TK50 (which was what the machine originally had).
--
Arno Kletzander
Stud. Hilfskraft Informatik Sammlung Erlangen