Coco keyboards

Mr Ian Primus ian_primus at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 1 15:03:13 CDT 2007

> That brings to mind a surprise acquisition I got
> recently from a mixed lot
> on eBay: it's an original silver case CoCo 1 with
> fairly low serial number,
> but decked out with ECB 1.1, full 64KB, and a CoCo 3
> keyboard.  Were the
> CoCo 3 keyboards available to the public before the
> actual release of the
> CoCo 3?

Not that I am aware of, although third party keyboards
were a popular upgrade at the time. I saw all kinds of
ads for them in Rainbow.

So, it might be a third party upgrade. If it's an
authentic part, then it's always possible that someone
pieced together the machine from other systems. I
don't recall if the CoCo 3 keyboard pinout will match
a CoCo 1, but it's possible. I also seem to remember
hacks people did, adding extra switches manually to
the matrix to add extra keys to the CoCo.

-Ian