Utilogic II (was these RTL or what?)

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Wed Oct 3 23:29:49 CDT 2007

On Tuesday 02 October 2007 15:37, Brent Hilpert wrote:

> > >  > Goggle finds only a few hits for utilogic,and is mostly a odd chip
> > >  > for sale.
> > >  >
> > >  > I suspect more TTL rather than DTL. Ben.
> > >
> > > look under http://bitsavers.org/pdf/signetics/_dataBooks/
> >
> > I don't recall where I picked them up,  but what I am referring to is
> > indeed a couple of databooks...  I might have gotten them there,  even.
> > Maybe I just need to dig into them further.
>
> "UtilLogicII_Handbook_1968.pdf"

I'm not 100% certain without going and looking,  but I believe that's one of
the files I have on hand here...

> from Al's bitsavers presents some internal schematics. Kind of interesting
> in that the family is a mixture of technologies: AND gate inputs are
> current-*sinking* multi-emitter TTL style, N/OR gates inputs are
> current-*sourcing* like RTL with a common limiting resistor but referred to
> in the text as DTL with the diodes replaced with transistors. N/OR outputs
> are totem-pole so they'll both source and sink current. AND gate outputs
> only have a high-side transistor so they'll only source. If one stuck to
> AND-OR-NOT combinatorics it was probably OK to design with.

No wonder I'm having trouble figuring out what I'm looking at.   :-)

> I came across a small pile of unknown 60s-era SSI gold-ceramic ICs recently
> (SG 2xx series) and popped the lid off one just for fun to see if I could
> figure out what it was under a microscope (looks like a dual 4-input TTL or
> DTL gate), then later found some mention of them in the cross-refs of an
> early TI TTL databook.

Yeah,  those cross-reference tables are another area where I might be able to
glean some useful info,  it appears,  as there are numbers there (including
some like the one you mention) that I don't remember seeing anywhere else.

-
M Dakin