Setting up a VAXstation

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Thu Oct 4 00:56:42 CDT 2007

On Wednesday 03 October 2007 13:49, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Fred Cisin wrote:
> >> I suppose I have a lot of practice, but I can strip, order, cut and
> >> crimp and RJ45 for ethernet in about 30 seconds.  It takes longer than
> >> that for my iron to warm up.
> >
> > only because you've been turning it off or unplugging it between uses.
>
> I'd rather my tips not oxidize.
>
> Peace...  Sridhar

That's why I built a little box with a couple of switches,  a couple of neon
indcators,  and a couple of rectifier diodes...

One switch turns it on and off.  The other cuts the power to half,  which I
leave it on for "standby".  And with a 45W element holding a 1/8" chisel tip,
they last a LONG time for me.  Years,  even,  depending on what I'm doing.
Lots of salvage with a solder sucker seems to eat 'em up quicker.

-
M Dakin