ClarisDraw and ICT1301 (was: Semi-OT: Classic Mac support gone from Leopard (OS X 10.5))

Roger Holmes roger.holmes at microspot.co.uk
Sat Oct 6 13:22:35 CDT 2007

On 6 Oct, 2007, at 02:48, cctalk-request at classiccmp.org wrote:

> From: "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh at aracnet.com>
>
> In all fairness I've already started looking into running
> ClarisDraw under
> emulation since I can't find a replacement I like, in the long run
> it is
> likely to run better under emulation.  There is a glitch or two
> with running
> it under Classic on my G5.  Besides I want to be able to upgrade to
> a Mac
> Pro one of these days.
>
> Or, I might just setup my G4/450 running Mac OS 8.6 (I have the
> special G4
> version), and use it as an X-Terminal running my old copy of
> eXodus.  At
> which point I'll be able to run ClarisDraw on there.  Though at 8
> years old,
> I'm not sure I want to depend on it for an app I *need*.

Sorry to take this off topic still further.

Please excuse me being nosey, but is it a matter of speed , features,
user interface, opening ClarisDraw files, price or what? My company
took over 'MacDraft' from IDD many years ago and still supply both
MacDraft and the cheaper version MacDraft PE (personal edition) which
are both universal binaries on OS-X. We get some people complaining
that the UI is not modern enough and others that its too modern. We
do not currently have any sort of gradient fills, maybe that's what
is missing. We are currently working on version 6.0 so would be
interested if you or any others on this list would like to tell me
what we need to do to meet your needs, though of course we don't make
programs for one users needs alone.

To bring back on topic, last month we got the core memory of my
ICT1301 back to 100% functionality, all 2000 words of 48 bits
(1200lbs weight). We're now working on an interface to write data to
a parallel port so we can catch it with a modern machine. We're using
TTL working from a -5v supply as Vss and ground as Vcc to match up
with the -6.3 volt logic levels (with an implicit inversion). We're
also using an IDT 7201 FIFO to buffer the rapid supply of 48 bits
from a word against the 8 bit at a time parallel port, and it may
also absorbs some of the difference between rapid data transfer of
each mag tape block and no data during the inter-block gap with the
constant data rate of the parallel port.

Roger Holmes