1541-III group buy?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 04:10:46 CDT 2007

On 10/7/07, Zane H. Healy <healyzh at aracnet.com> wrote:
> I have been looking into the parts needed to build one of these.  Not
> even including the price of the PCB or MMC/SD card, it isn't exactly
> cheap.  It looks like it will cost about $64.00 just for the parts.

See below...

> It is also worth noting that most of these parts are surface mount.

Indeed.

> I've done up a web page showing the price breakdown when ordering the
> parts from Newark, as they are a US arm of Farnell.
> http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/commodore/1541-III.html  It also
> includes the Manufacturer and Newark part numbers.

Nice work.  I do notice that you've listed two MCUs, a PIC 18F252 and
a PIC 18F2620.  Presumably, the design takes one _or_ the other, not
both.

Also, it looks to me like those 0.1" (2.54mm) jumpers is a bit high -
$0.25 each, min q. 10.  Other killers are the $15 handling fee
(presumably because the order value isn't up to their minimum value -
$50?), the RL73K2BR33JTD resistor (1 required, min q. 10 @ ~$2), and
various min quantity orders.  What might make more fiscal sense, to
me, at least, would be to order enough parts to build two, rather than
one.  More of the teeny parts would be used up for zero additional
expense, plus the order might cross the min-order threshold and avoid
the $15 service fee.  Of course, if it were _my_ order, I'd find some
MCUs or other parts to round up my own order, just because I'd rather
have $15 worth of additional components than pay a $15 fee that gets
me nothing substantial.

Thanks for laying everything out in a very plain and clear fashion.
It's a great starting point, especially for those who might have to
order every single part to build a kit (I see large numbers of things
I'd pull from my own stores).

-ethan