VAX 11/750 rescued, alas...

J Blaser oldcpu2 at rogerwilco.org
Tue Oct 9 01:29:03 CDT 2007

Quoting Patrick Finnegan <pat at computer-refuge.org>:

> On Monday 08 October 2007 19:07, J Blaser wrote:
> > You guys may very well be right on that, but still, I'll probably go
> > through the motions anyway.  It's just what I normally do.
>
> Just keep in mind that (I think) the supplies in the /750 are switching
> power supplies, so it'd be a BAD idea to try to run the power supply
> under the rated voltage using a variac.

That's fair, but my method does not include the use of a variac.
I pull the caps and slowly (10ma max current) bring them up
to their rated DC voltage.  I let them 'cook' for a while (overnight
usually), until I see the leakage current drop and stabilize.
Then I put them back in the PS, and check it out as a
sub-system.  Only then do I think about powering
up the whole system.  That's my method, anyway.

- Jared