VAX 11/750 rescued, alas...

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 03:57:48 CDT 2007

On 10/9/07, Gordon JC Pearce <gordonjcp at gjcp.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 October 2007 09:19:16 Ethan Dicks wrote:
> > problem with that, though, is that I've occasionally had problems
> > getting round keys copied successfully.  At one place (that I won't
> > return to), I eventually dragged in the lock because three previous
> > trips failed to produce a working key.
>
> I use a shop run by an elderly Indian chap.  Got his life story the first time
> I went in to get a set of keys cut...
>  He told me that when he gets excited, say by the
> presence of a £20 note, he starts to forget some English words.  Particularly
> big complicated words, like "duplication" and "prohibited"...

Heh... that's one of the reasons for the intricate multiple-facet and
other odd security keys - fewer locksmiths to license and train, and
less of of chance of one of them getting "excitable".

No... in my case, it wasn't that they *wouldn't* copy it - it was that
the copies would barely turn in the lock because the depths weren't
cut right and the pins were still binding.  I finally came in with the
lock so they could see how bad the copies were and so that I could
leave with a good key.

Fundamentally, I think the problem was that they didn't get lots of
practice cutting round keys and so they just weren't good at it.

-ethan