OS-9 sector sizes

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 12 17:37:39 CDT 2007

> Anyone know if OS-9 is guaranteed to use a certain sector size when resident
> on a hard disk? Or is it implementation-specific?

OS-9 has one of the most modular I/O systems there is . Basically there
are (from emmoey) the following modules :

Device managers : SCFMAN (Sequenatial character devices, terminal,
printers, etc); RBFMAN (block-structured devices, disks), PIPEMAN
(interprocess pipes)

Device drivers  : code to actually access a particular it of hardware

Device descriptors  : tables of parameters for a particular device

The last 2 levels can best be explained by example. If you had 8
identical serial poets, you'd have one driver, but 8 descriptors. The
latter would contain the addressies of the serial chips (to be read by
the driver when accessing that port), various parameters like baud rate,
word lenth, etc.

Anyway, wityh a system that modular and thus configurale, I can't beleive
_all_ OS-9 systems used the same hardware blcok size on a hard disk.