4004 and IC history / was Re: Vintage computer photogallery

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Sat Oct 13 13:44:22 CDT 2007

On Saturday 13 October 2007 10:46, dwight elvey wrote:
> Package size was always a dominating cost and defined many projects.

I've often wondered why it is that 14-pin packages seemed to dominate the
early parts so much.  Why they never offered,  for example,  a dual 2-input
gate package instead of the more common quad,  or other combinations like
that.  It seemed sometimes that things were altered a bit to fit into those
14-pin packages that they wanted to use...

And I don't lay any claim to having any kind of a clue about what factors
dominated the economics of things back then.  :-)

-
M Dakin