VAXen at home

Guy Sotomayor ggs at shiresoft.com
Tue Oct 16 00:25:17 CDT 2007

Ethan Dicks wrote:
>> If you have the space (and it's large), try to get am 11/780. I've never
>> been inside one, but I've read the printset (schematics) and it seems to
>> be all standard chips.
>>

> Yes.... repairable, but large and power hungry, and, IMO, more
> difficult to obtain than an 11/750 (partially due to quantities sold,
> but also due to how long ago 11/780s were turned off and sold/scrapped
> compared to 11/750s).  Neither are _easy_ to find, but I think it's
> more likely to find a dusty 11/750 in a corner of a warehouse than an
> 11/780.

Hmm.  I didn't find it all that hard to find some.  As a matter of fact
they seem to find me.  After "disposing" of 2 of them (well 3
actually...the third was everything but the cabinetry), I still have 4
(one's in my shop, the others are in storage).  If anyone really wants
one, I'll make a deal!  :-)  If any one's serious about it and are out
for VCF, we can do some digging in storage (they're packed in tight).

The power controller is 3-phase but that's more to get the amperage
reasonable rather than anything really needing it.  It's just the power
controller and it just splits the phases.  All of the supplies in the
cpu are 110v with standard 15A 3-prong plugs (there's just a lot of
them...I think the one in my shop has 5 or 6 supplies).  Of course I
have plenty of 3-phase in my shop so I don't need to come up with a
"creative" solution.

--

TTFN - Guy