Taken: AT 286 motherboard with mathco

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Oct 17 11:11:33 CDT 2007

On 17 Oct 2007 at 9:30, Jim Leonard wrote:

> Ethan Dicks wrote:
> > I do *not* miss the days of DOS.
>
> I do, since it was simpler and easier to gain complete access to the
> hardware.  You can still do so in other operating systems, but DOS+Debug
> remains one of my favorite environments to poke around in.

Ditto here.  Not much of a problem running DOS 7.x for FAT-32 with
DOSLFN to give long filename support.  With a faster disk, an
otherwise unusuable (under WinXP) system can turn in very decent
performance.  And using a 32-bit DPMI server to run 32-bit command-
line applications can turn in very good results indeed--while not
putting a wall between the hardware and your applications.

A lot of Linux has even been getting bloated enough to adversely
affect performanc on many P1 systems, particularly when one of the
graphics desktops is involved.

Cheers,
Chuck