IBM 5120 monitor issues

Josh Dersch derschjo at msu.edu
Wed Oct 17 08:18:45 CDT 2007

Christian Corti wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, Alexandre Souza wrote:
>>> But I'd like to see what I can do about the monitor.  The picture
>>> exhibits a strange behavior that I can't say I've seen before.  The
>>> horizontal retrace seems to "fold" over itself in the middle (like
>>> the electron gun is doing a "loop" in the center of the screen for
>>> each line).  I've taken a (terrible) picture of the fault and put it
>>> at: http://yahozna.dyndns.org/scratch/5120disp.jpg).  The picture's
>>> also a bit jumpy.  I've tinkered a bit with the various adjustments
>>> on the CRT's PCB but it doesn't make any appreciable difference.
>>
>>   Have phun on the horizontal circuit caps. There is one shorted or
>> with a huge loss probably on the yoke line.
>
> Ehmm, you've replied to a posting that has apparently never appeared
> on the list, at least it didn't arrive here... Who was the original
> poster?
>
> Anyway the machine's not working as it halted at $01F6, or did you
> (->original poster) halt the machine with internal HALT switch? The
> routine around 01F6 (specifically 01EE-01FA) is POST 'G' "Keyboard
> Test". It enables interrupt 3 and busy waits for a short time:
>                         ; --- Test G ---
>                         ; Keyboard Test
>
> 01EE    8BC7            LBI R11, #'G'
> 01F0    7B50            MOVB (R5)+, R11
>
> 01F2    1440            CTRL $4, #$40           ; enable int.3 and
> typamatic
> 01F4    AF00            ADD R15, #$01
> 01F6    CF04            SS R15
> 01F8    F005            BRA $01F4               ; small delay
> 01FA    1442            CTRL $4, #$42           ; disable typamatic
>

> Christian

It was a response to my post (which took almost 2 days to show up for
whatever reason :)).  I know the machine's not working, it has several
hardware issues -- the most apparent being the monitor :).  There's also
a keyboard issue (which is why it's halted in the pic) -- it seems to
think there's a stuck key when there isn't (I've disassembled and
cleaned the keyboard, etc...) -- if I swap in the keyboard (apologies to
Tony) from my 5110 this goes away.  The last issue is a ROS error, which
I'm betting will be very tough to solve, given the odd (proprietary?)
packaging of the ROS chips.  (Again, if I swap ROS boards from my 5110,
this goes away and the machine works OK, minus the monitor issue.)

Thanks,
- Josh