Taken: AT 286 motherboard with mathco

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Oct 18 14:35:34 CDT 2007

On 18 Oct 2007 at 13:21, Doc Shipley wrote:

>    I don't know crap about USB or about ISA, but would it be feasible to
> just build a USB-attached ISA expansion board?  Would that simpler than
> attaching existing serial cards, floppy interfaces, etc., or would it
> just further complicate things?

I'd think that it all depends on the speed desired.  Single-byte
transfer over USB is very slow; the speed doesn't really kick in
until block transfers are being done.  Interrupts and DMA might be
accommodated after a fashion, given enough intelligence on the box
end, but I'd just rather use an old ISA-equipped PC myself.

However, if what you're after is a "user port", there are USB-to-
bidirectional parallel port (with FIFO yet) (and serial port)
available very inexpensively.

Cheers,
Chuck